The Subsurface developer team is proud to announce the release of the next major version of Subsurface.
With version 4.0 we switched to Qt as our UI toolkit. This caused the need to do a complete rewrite of a large chunk of the Subsurface code base. We decided to keep much of the logic and core of the existing code around, but used the opportunity for quite a bit of cleanup and many improvements.
The basic concepts are the same, most of the basic features are the same, but trying to create a concise list of changes that summarizes the more than 1600 commits that have gone in since version 3.1 seems a daunting task.
Here are some of the highlights:
- new map widget with a spinning globe to visualize dive locations
- much more “native” look and feel under Windows and Mac
- ability to edit dives “in place”: simply click on an entry in the Dive Notes or Equipment tabs to start editing
- more data about each dive is presented in the Dive Notes and can be edited without separate dialogs and without having to go through context menues
- graphical editor for dive profiles for manually added dives
- better information overlay for the dive profile
- addition of a “ruler” tool in the profile window that allows measuring of many properties between two points in the profile
- better tag system with both predefined user-specified free text tags
- better integration with divelogs.de (upload & download support)
- ability to show the user manual from within the application without a life internet connection and without opening the manual in an external browser window
- better statistics (with per-trip statistics available)
As always in a massive rewrite like this, there are still a small handful of known bugs and issues -- please check the ReleaseNotes and our bug tracker. The two biggest missing features (compared to 3.1.1) are
- Filter->Select Events is not implemented
- Dive planner has been disabled for now